Friday, July 12, 2013

Half Bked: Conducting Interviews

So it’s taken ages to come up with a name for this blog, the term half baked, coined by Arvind Adiga in the book “The White Tiger”.  Now I was warned against this book, told it wasn't worth the read. Honestly I was so intrigued by the first paragraph where I was promised I would  indulge in a story about ‘the truth about Bangalore’. Well I wasn't, but I love the term half baked. It's just the perfect way to describe so many things I come across here in Bangalore, the term to describe all those things that are just not quite right. So here it is my blog, the real truth about Bangalore, well at least my truth.  My adjustment to India, my 180 degree career change and the journey involving me facing multiple half baked ideas, situations and people along the way.  

So we have moved to Bangalore to set-up and run an E-tailing business.  Bangalore, the IT capital of India.  The Silicon Valley of the subcontinent. Liars.
Now I can’t tell you how much I wish I was exaggerating about how hard it is to find quality workers in India.   For all those big companies in the USA, UK or Australia who have outsourced call centres and IT departments to India, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? 
Nothing gets done on time, and even if you give yourself a 3 week leeway, it still won't be done. The excuses go from bad to worse, where just yesterday we were told "You've waited 5 months, you can wait a few more days" and "You should be happy I'm even picking up your calls" I'm sorry, I'm paying you for a service that was promised to be done in a week...and I should be happy?
I haven't done any sort of IT work or coding since high school, so you can imagine what my technical skill level is at. If you ask our web developers to do anything, and i mean something as simple as turning text to bold the standard response is "no sir, it cannot be done" Yes, even as a girl i get called sir...I don't even bother to ask.  Even when my husband tells them how to do it, the response is still..[insert indian accent here] "no it cannot be done" 

For those of you who told us it won’t be a problem and we will have so many people to choose from, I hope you're happy, because we believed you.  The worst thing is, many people who told us this were from Bangalore in the IT world. I'm guessing you just thought it was a joke and want to see us writhe in frustration. A bit of I suffered, so now you suffer. It’s a sick joke. 

We've put up job descriptions on websites equivalent to seek.com, used recruiters, gotten recommendations. It's not that we haven't gotten a response, the response has been huge, it's finding that diamond in the rough..scratch that, we would take a normal pebble right about now.  

Resumes
We have got some beauties with introductions like “I believe the harder you work the heavier you get”. 

They’ll apply for a technical job but haven’t even heard of the program used, never coded in that language, or have any experience in coding. 

Or they'll apply for a technical web developer job with a chemical engineering degree, a hospitality degree or an administration degree.  C'mon do you not even look at what the job description is?  

To try and cut down on these resumes, I figured I would start with phone interviews, anyone who seems decent after that we could do a face-to-face interview.  Standard procedure, or so I thought.
So I start dialling the numbers
“Hi I recently got your resume, I was wondering if you had a few minutes so I could ask you a few questions”
Answer 1: eh?
So I try again, this time a little slower.. eh?
I try in Hindi... eh? 
beep beep beep

Answer 2: "Can you call me back?"
"Sure, what time?"
They give a stated time, I call them back, and get no answer. Right…there goes that

If I actually get through I start with some pretty basic questions
Answers to any question I ask.. yh…y…ok…and no I'm not trying to be cool and leave out vowels. They didn't pronounce any.

So I give up on phone interviews, it's honestly frustrating when no-one can understand you.  I can do a mean Indian accent and people still don't understand me.  So for all those Indian students who complain that 'foreigners' should learn to understand the Indian accent..well right back at ya.

We scrapped the idea of phone interviews and decided the concept is just not understood here.  I mean even if you want a phone connection, someone comes to your house just to meet you and give you a form and then 6 months later you might have a working phone.  

So we scheduled some face-to-face interviews
  • The first 4 people didn't bother to show up.
  • Two people kept saying i'm 10 minutes away for about 90 minutes.
  • One person came two and a half hours early and demanded he does his interview then

Other people come 1.5 hours late and have the audacity to think its fine and don’t bother apologising.  He then proceeds to show attitude, has never even looked at our website, has no idea what we do.  So we explain it to him, but obviously realise he is not right for the job. He proceeds to show more attitude and ask if we even had the same level of skills he did.  He had next to zero skills.

Skype Interviews
So we found some, what we thought eligible candidates however they lived in another state.  After explaining we would like to so a technical interview with them giving them a weeks notice, telling them what program we use and suggesting they download a free copy to have a look.  We would call them on Skype and see how it goes
So the girl answers the call, and we can see what seems like  2 or 3 people behind her, odd, but fine, whatever.
Proceed to talk about the program and how she should have had enough time to play around with it.  Her eyes getting wider and wider, her mouth opening in a shocked expression and clearly not hiding the fact that she hadn't done anything she proceeds to respond with “yes yes I've done all that”
Her friends continue to talk in the background, she giggles and when we ask her politely that maybe she should be alone so she could concentrate, proceeds to giggle at her friends.
Needless to say, she had absolutely no idea about any of the questions either.


So, for all of you who said this would be easy.  I have many explicit phrases running through my head for you, and if anyone wants a job in Bangalore, send us your resume, if you can answer a phone call properly, you will probably get the job.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck on the venture! Keep the stories coming - this one was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it needs to be continued as a reality TV show. Perhaps called...Troubles of The Travelling Trivedis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written but this looks like as if it was written in an frustration which i totally agree with, but either you have met with wrong people or this has seriously become the attitude of job seekers these days nevertheless there is plenty of talent available around and definitely Good Luck for finding some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only Happens in India..that is a true phrase and I mean literally...

    I think you have a perception of India that is told you...but that perception will mold... if I simply state it after years of spending in India and then in USA with lots of people from around the World, working with them - India is Annoyingly cute... you have reached to first part... in few months or years you may get to the cute part!!! :)

    Anyways, its is an experience of lifetime, it will teach you a lot about Life. Good Luck and what you are doing a dashingly daring and it may be difficult but I don't believe that it won't be... so you are on a roller coaster, enjoy its ups and down.... :)

    Good Luck.
    -Vishal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there Ayesha, I'm sure the pebble will surface soon!

    ReplyDelete